Before you Read

This blog is a very straight forward approach to dispelling myths regarding The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints (aka Mormons). All comments are moderated, any comments of an intolerant or abusive nature will not be accepted.

Please do not take offense to the way things are presented here. I am a very blunt woman and I write these things not directed to any one person but in an effort to address my frustrations regarding the intolerance of my beliefs.

I am a History Major and my specialty includes the time period in which Christ lived and in which Christianity was formed. I have also spent my life studying other faiths and beliefs. Please know that after all of my studies and my continued studies, I am firm in my beliefs and I only wish to dispel myths. This is in no way an approach to forcing my beliefs on anyone; jut a way to open eyes and build bridges. The misunderstandings are great, but so is the close-minded views of the world. Please read this blog with a desire to learn and to understand.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Mormon's Are not Christians? Really I did not know that...

June 13, 2010.....


So the most common thing I hear as a Mormon is that I am not a Christian. I can understand why people get this impression because the whole world knows us as Mormon and very few people actually take the time to understand that we are actually members of The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints. Yep that is right our church is named after Jesus Christ. Then I hear the comment of well it is not the same Jesus. I hate to burst your bubble but there was only one Jesus people. So how can it be a different Jesus. What do you think we are funky Sci-Fi geeks who think our Jesus is from another dimension. Come On really? okay so maybe a lot of us are funky Sci-Fi geeks but it has nothing to do with our belief in Christ. Basically the sum of it is that we Believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. That he is the Jehovah of the Old Testament, That is walked on the earth and during his earthly ministry he did remarkable things. We Believe that he suffered in Gethsemane, Died on the Cross, and was Resurrected for us and our sins that we might someday live with him in heaven. We believe that when Jesus walked on the earth he established His church and that through history and the pitfalls of man that the fullness of the Gospel was lost. We Believe that Jesus Christ has established his church on the earth once more through modern revelation and that Jesus Christ is the head of our church and that he guides it and directs it on a daily basis through modern prophets, just like he did in the bible.
All my life I have heard what I believe and do not believe from people who honestly have no clue. They bring up websites and quotes that have no relevance to our believes. Just because we made waves 150 years ago and what not people still think we are crazy and weird. I hate to break it to you but we are normal everyday people who go to church every Sunday, who help our neighbors and who do everything we can to live Christlike lives.

In our Articles of Faith the First Article reads: "We Believe in God the Eternal Father and in his Son Jesus Christ and in the Holy Ghost"

Official LDS page to get more information

No comments:

Post a Comment