Before you Read

This blog is a very straight forward approach to dispelling myths regarding The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints (aka Mormons). All comments are moderated, any comments of an intolerant or abusive nature will not be accepted.

Please do not take offense to the way things are presented here. I am a very blunt woman and I write these things not directed to any one person but in an effort to address my frustrations regarding the intolerance of my beliefs.

I am a History Major and my specialty includes the time period in which Christ lived and in which Christianity was formed. I have also spent my life studying other faiths and beliefs. Please know that after all of my studies and my continued studies, I am firm in my beliefs and I only wish to dispel myths. This is in no way an approach to forcing my beliefs on anyone; jut a way to open eyes and build bridges. The misunderstandings are great, but so is the close-minded views of the world. Please read this blog with a desire to learn and to understand.

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Teaching our children

 I have the blessing of teaching Primary today (children's Sunday school). During the past week my thoughts have focused on preparing for this wonderful opportunity. One of the thoughts that struck me is how we teach our children about faith and tolerance. Sadly this is an area most people are lacking. So today my thoughts are turned to the Children and how the world teaches them.

I was pleasantly surprised to find a series of books in my local library titles Religions of the World. However I was saddened to hear from the librarian that the books never get checked out and are on the potential cut list. These books are easy to read very well put together and a wonderful way for Children and parents alike to read and discuss other beliefs. They are straightforward and I was very happy to see the wide range of subjects available.  

Many people teach their children from a young age that they are right and everyone else is wrong. This leads to intolerance and anger. Everyone wonders why so many wars happen. Well most of them are because of intolerance in regards to religious views. Our home is a dual religion home. I am a Latter Day Saint and my husband is Non-Denominational. We also have a Teenager who stays with us that is not religious. This gives us an amazing dynamic in our home. Many people do not understand how we can make it work because of the differences. It is easy and simple: We are Tolerant. We do not discuss religion except in a generic generalized way. Sometimes things will float to one belief set because of questions. Those questions help facilitate a better understanding not a hatred or alienation. We love the Bible in our home and we are working on a beautiful wall hanging of Jesus Christ. We honor all faiths in our home and respect all who enter. We have friends from all walks of life and we try vigilantly to help them feel love and acceptance. Unfortunately this is not the case in most homes. Even in the homes of my friends. Now I do not say that to upset any of my friends who may read this or family. I say it to show that this is more common than people realize. I have some dear friends who are not religious at all. They are very understanding and respectful however when we were over for dinner a few weeks back some of their friends frowned at us for telling my baby sister to say a prayer before she ate. They did not say anything but it was obvious it was not something they thought appropriate. My friends were great in handling it and making my Baby sister feel okay but it was one of the first times my sister had encountered such a thing.

Maybe we should stop and think how we teach our children. Maybe we should do some research and learn the truth for our self before passing on myths or untruths to our children. And maybe just maybe we should take the time to Pray to the God we hold dear about the truth of what we learn and how we need to teach our children. Raising children is a God given blessing not a right and we need to remember that and include him. They are his children too.


      

No comments:

Post a Comment