Before you Read

This blog is a very straight forward approach to dispelling myths regarding The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints (aka Mormons). All comments are moderated, any comments of an intolerant or abusive nature will not be accepted.

Please do not take offense to the way things are presented here. I am a very blunt woman and I write these things not directed to any one person but in an effort to address my frustrations regarding the intolerance of my beliefs.

I am a History Major and my specialty includes the time period in which Christ lived and in which Christianity was formed. I have also spent my life studying other faiths and beliefs. Please know that after all of my studies and my continued studies, I am firm in my beliefs and I only wish to dispel myths. This is in no way an approach to forcing my beliefs on anyone; jut a way to open eyes and build bridges. The misunderstandings are great, but so is the close-minded views of the world. Please read this blog with a desire to learn and to understand.

Monday, November 22, 2010

Fantasy, Sci-Fiction and other genre books

Okay so this one fits in religion instead of on my book blog but I will be posting this as a back up on that site as well. A comment was made to my husband regarding the Harry Potter books, right on Facebook in response to taking a silly quiz...So here is the rant I want to share. MOST FANTASY and SCI-FICTION is written by Christians. You stand on your high horse and judge because you have not spent the time to learn or study for your self and you just blindly follow what you are told from a pulpit. I am taught to study and seek out in prayer the things I am taught. I am taught to seek after things of virtue and of good works. I am taught to recognize the Holy Ghost and to trust in the lord in all things. So if I am reading Harry Potter then maybe it is not demonic and evil. You have been told that by many and you are wrong. Books like Harry Potter teach children that Light and Purity will stand against all odds in the face of evil. They learn that by being virtuous and living up to their believes that they can stand against the tide of an evil world. What is demonic and un-Christlike in that? Well nothing really. You say well there is magic in the books and that is evil? well The magic is a story element nothing more. The books don't teach your kids magic they don't tell them to do magic it is just a story element.

So why the post...The following list is of Christian Authors, you would be surprised by some of them. The ones who write Sci-Fi/Fantasy are in Bold.



Now I know you saw a few authors you know and recognize...SO not only are they Christian, and they write things with some Christian themes...here is the shocker...are you ready...Every author above is LDS. yet that is write your favorite authors like Orson Scott Card and Stephanie Meyer are Mormon.

So next time you are against a book that you have never even researched keep in mind that not all books are evil just because they are fantasy or Sci-fiction and have magic or other aspects in it.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment